The ArcGIS service is to be used for the display of the customized data layer on the web application.
If you have your set of data (.mxd project files), then you can create Map service through ArcGIS Manager. The URL of this service is used in creating web application. (as described in my other post http://abhijat-innovations.blogspot.in/2012/06/creating-arcgis-web-application-net.html).
Let's see how its done step-wise :
- Logging into the ArcGIS Manager:
- A file browser dialog box will pop-up. From here you have to select the location of the .mxd file. (Remember the .mxd file should be kept in a shared folder on the server).
- After entering "Map Document" path click "Next" to proceed further. (I am not touching other configurations as they are usage dependent and for basic map service not required).
- At this step you will find the URL associated to this map service; Note it for giving it in "Map Resource Manager" property while making web application using WMA template in Visual Studio.
- Click on next (two times, no configuration need to be changed normally). You may reach final step. It will have the option of starting the service later or now.
- You may click on the small lock icon under permission heading for the service.Through this you may restrict the access of the service.
You now have successful service creation.
Happy GIS development.